Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Calling All Clean Plates

You know how after finishing a big meal you've cleaned your plate? Well, you haven't really cleaned it until you break off a big piece of semolina italian bread and "fare la scarpetta", pick up any leftover sauce on your plate. *Yes, the italians have an expression for this- what a language.

Some people in my family even look forward to this part of the meal in particular! Prompting my response to this truck full of freshly baked baguettes in Paris: "Think of all the SAUCE these could pick up!"
Needless to say it smelled amazing, too
Guess what? ANOTHER amazing food that complements any marinara is Fried Zucchini! Comparable to a french fry, the staple Italian vegetable takes on an italian seasoning coating that will make you have to think twice about grabbing that semolina.

I was so happy when I made this restaurant dish in my own tiny kitchen! And I should've sooner because I had all the ingredients in my cabinet! It was hit and added a special element to a big dinner I was making. Try it out and enjoy!


Fried Zucchini



1 long zucchini
2 eggs
1 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmigiana Reggiano
1/2 cup flour
2 cups oil (for frying)

1. Slice zucchini into desired fry lengths.
2. Beat 2 eggs in a bowl.
3. Wash and dry (*very important that they are dry) zucchini slices.
4. Cover slices in flour.
5. Dip slices in egg mixture and then dredge in bread crumb-cheese mixture.
6. Heat oil in a pot until very hot (It's ok if you don't have a thermometer. Be careful with hot oil!)
7. Place slices in hot oil with wooden slotted spoon. Carefully remove them when they float to the top and have taken on crisp, brown coloring.
8. Place on plate with a paper towel to absorb extra moisture.
9. Enjoy with your meal!

Hmm, I have a feeling zucchini fritters will be in the mix next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment