Monday, October 15, 2012

Sugar Overload!

The little kid inside me is grimacing at my post claiming that Fall is all about cascading leaves and winter gourds. 'Cause to some, it's not cascading leaves, it's jumping in a huge pile of them. And while pumpkin pie is yummy, Fall really revolves around...

CANDY!

Throw a squash in a halloween basket and you'll have a neighborhood-kids mutiny on your hands. They're organized. Play it safe and stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup.



The concept of Trick-or-Treating is a dream realized to every little boy and girl. You're saying that I get to dress up in a costume and people have to give me candy? I just ring the doorbell?
Very happy as my idol, Pocahontas
So, that's why it's important not to neglect Fall's sweetest treats! Candy Corn, Snickers, Tootsie Pops, Reeses', Kit Kats, Milky Ways, Laffy Taffys, Nerds- the list of trademarked confections continues. My friends and I hit every house on the block indulging in the day's saccharin ritual, coming back with candy overflowing from our Trick-or-Treat baskets

It's a good thing I was forced to wear my winter coat. The pockets hold what my basket can't.

Even if my mom always took the gum, swapping goodies between my friends and I ensured that I always got my favorite candies. But with caramel-nougat-y filling being a universal favorite, sharing became more difficult than the usual "Sure, you can borrow my scooter".

I am a big caramel fan, yet I never thought making my own was within my culinary expertise until I stumbled upon a recipe. How can I already have all of these ingredients in my fridge? And yet I did!

Here's the recipe for making your own caramel candies. It's so easy- wrap them up in individual pieces to have a bit of scrumptiousness in your bag all day. The library guards will never know!

Hold on, though. Up the volume to 11 by adding the pre-set caramel glaze onto Double Chocolate Chip Cookies. 

Man, if only my neighbors had handed these out on Halloween! They are rich in chocolate flavor and crunch and the caramel makes it supremely decadent. You'll have a tough time sharing!

Caramel Candies




1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup  packed light brown sugar
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. vanilla

1. Butter an 8 x 8 inch baking pan.
2. In a medium saucepan, stir together the cream, sugars, and salt. Place the saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Once the mixture boils, wash down the sides of the saucepan to remove any sugar crystals that may have formed. If you have one, clamp a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan. Boil the mixture over medium high heat (do not stir) until the temperature reaches 245 degrees F. If you don't have a candy thermometer, wait 2 minutes after sugar boils to remove from heat.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Pour the caramel into your prepared pan and let cool, undisturbed, for at least eight hours, or overnight.
With a sharp knife, (oiled) and with a sawing motion, cut into squares or rectangles. Caramels can be stored at room temperature, between layers of wax paper, for several days. 

Double Chocolate Chip Cookie with Caramel Glaze
(makes 2 dozen)


1 cup butter
1 cup  sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. milk
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup chocolate chips


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat together the butter, white and brown sugar.
3. Add the egg, cocoa and vanilla and beat together until it looks like chocolate frosting.
4. Combine the baking powder and flour until well mixed. Add a little bit at a time. Add milk.
4. Roll into 1- 1.5" diameter sized balls and place on a greased cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 12 -15 minutes.
6. Place on cooling rack. When cool, drizzle caramel glaze atop in a zig-zag pattern. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment