Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Un-Delivered Deliciousness

If there's one thing I know about this pizza, it's that this type of perfection cannot be found in cardboard with a little plastic ottoman in its middle. 

Growing up in NY, I've had a lot of great NY pizza. When it comes to pizza, I have come to realize that two different types of perfection can co-exist without competition. My favorite grandma square at L & B Spumoni Gardens (what a name, am I right?) in Brooklyn and my family's homemade margherita epitomize this relationship.

That grilled pizza above? My family's special margherita! You don't know how many pictures I have of this type of pizza. And I'm starting to ask myself why...

  • Is it because it is an artistic masterpiece?
    • Totally (Coming to a Louvre near you?)
  • Maybe it's because I can't wait to eat it?
    • That is definitely a factor...
  • Am I that proud of a pizza we made?
    • Let's just say if I could hang it on the fridge, I would (still waiting for magnet technology to catch up)
Make it as the main course for lunch or an appetizer that "doesn't count" if you eat it standing up. *The standing up rule also applies to hot dogs in my family* Either way, prepping the dough, making the sauce, and grilling it outside makes for a great afternoon as well as an awesome lunch.

Here's how we do it:

1 ball pizza dough
1.5 cups of your favorite* marinara
1 ball fresh mozzarella
1 sprig of fresh basil
olive oil for drizzling
Crushed red pepper flakes
Oregano
salt and pepper to taste

1. Roll out pizza dough into thin circle. Pre-heat grill.
2. Drizzle olive oil onto dough. Spread out marinara sauce. Add salt, pepper, red pepper, and oregano to taste)
3. Cut mozzarella into small circular slices and place on dough.
4. Disperse basil leaves onto pie.
5. Prep the pizza stone. Transfer pie onto stone and grill for 10-15 minutes. 

This is for margherita pizza, but you can adjust the ingredients as you wish to make YOUR favorite pie!

E squisito!

Alas, I have no grill or pizza stone in my 6 square foot kitchen (shouldn't have wasted that third genie wish). But where there's a will, there's a way!

Cue my Artichoke and Red Pepper Pizza! Different than the margherita, this pizza features artichokes, sauteed red peppers and onions on a tasty whole wheat crust and is on the table in less than 30 minutes! How many pizza deliveries can do that from phone call to table (slash be as delicious)?

I used it as a surprise side for a big dinner I was making. Try it out for yourself! I loved how yummy it was and how it reminded me of long summer afternoons cooking with my family.

Artichoke and Red Pepper Pizza


Dough: 
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (you can use white flour if you prefer!)
2 3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. oil
3/4 to 1 c. water

Topping:
1.5 cups your favorite* marinara
5 artichoke hearts
1 onion
1 red pepper
1 clove garlic
1 cup mozzarella, shredded
2 tbsp. Parmigiano Reggiano
Olive oil for drizzling
Crushed red pepper
Oregano
Dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
2. Mix dry ingredients, add 3/4 cup water and oil. Stir until it forms a ball. If dough is stiff, add more water.
3. The dough will be soft, not sticky. Knead on a floured surface for 3-4 minutes.
4. Sautée sliced onions and red pepper in olive oil. Add crushed garlic clove, salt, and pepper. Cook until browned.
5. Transferred to prepared baking pan. Drizzle olive oil on dough.
6. Spread on marinara, followed by artichoke hearts, onion, red pepper. 
7. Add Crushed red pepper, oregano, basil, salt and pepper to taste.
8. Add mozzarella then Parmigano Reggiano.
9. Bake at 400°F for 15-25 minutes


*Our favorite marinara? Homemade from our annual Tomato Day. Look out for it in future posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment